Hi,

Please be sure I do not try to derail this story. Actually I think it is
very important, especially if we could go beyond System logs. There are
other log types in Jenkins (E.g. build logs), and in the modern
CD/DevOps/whatever world it would be preferable to have some unified
logging within the entire automation system. Yes, for the entire system,
not just for Jenkins.

Creating automation-friendly system logging with Logstash/Fluentd support
OOTB would definitely help to unify logging. For other log types there are
stories like JENKINS-38313 "External Task Log Storage"
<https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-38313> which also lean
towards such direction.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Oleg, it makes me wonder: how could we
> quantify the positive/negative impact of this (arguably) "bad default."I'm
> reminded of some of the pre-Jenkins 2 discussions about security defaults

The current logging format is bad for sure, nobody argues with that from
what I see :)

> for example. I spent some time trying to discover Jenkins-log-parsing
> projects,
> tools, and their communities to which we could reach out. Unfortunately I
> wasn't able to find anything big past a couple of blog posts :-/

WDYM? Parsing of system logs or logs in general?

> And I don't think we should consider Jenkins Essentials to be the only
> place where we make the OOTB experience as smooth as possible.

Yes, we should not. But it definitely could be a place to start from.

   1. We enable the new logging format in Essentials + immediately get
   benefit from it (e.g. via Logstash/fluentd)
   2. We offer a feature flag in standard Jenkins. Start from opt-in, then
   maybe opt-out at some point
   3. For installations passing through the installation wizard, we enable
   the feature by default (like we do with security defaults now)

BR, Oleg