Hi All,

We had a discussion about this in the Governance Meeting last week and came
to the following decisions to move forward.

We have had several recommendations/ideas for replacing the term "master"
with another term. Ideas such as host, server, controller and others. We
could not come to a consensus in the Governance Meeting, so we propose that
we set a deadline for suggestions from this thread, then the Governance
Board will select 10 of the suggestions for a Condorcet Internet Voting
Service vote (Mark Waite will be the technical lead on setting this up).
The poll will be used as input for the Governance Board to make the final
decision. I propose that we keep suggestions going in this thread until
July 1st after which the Governance Board can select the 10 suggestions
that will go into the vote.

We also realize that one term doesn't always meet the needs of the scope of
the usage of the term. We are starting a discussion to update the glossary (
https://www.jenkins.io/doc/book/glossary/) with recommended terms for
different use cases (e.g., Jenkins Web Interface, Jenkins Server
Application).

The discussion around "blacklist/whitelist" resulted in consensus that we
definitely need to deprecate and replace these terms. The context in which
these terms appear can require different replacements than just one
specific set. Simple replacements for "blacklist/whitelist" would be
"denylist/allowlist", but since context matters, we are not requiring one
specific set of terms be used for replacement, just that
"blacklist/whitelist" be replaced with acceptable terms. If you have
questions about the acceptability of replacement terms, please ask in the
developer mailing list.

Once we decide on a term replacement for "master" we would like to focus on
user facing places first like docs, web interface, etc., but the goal is to
replace everything over time. The same priorities exist for
"blacklist/whitelist".

If you have not made suggestions and would like to, please reply to this
email and I will collect the suggestions in the Google Doc (
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8myIWOZZktR0HNtbFIiNA0RfDCvkfKKuNI0C3wcvbo/edit?ts=5eea6706#)
that Oleg created.

Thanks!

Alex
Jenkins Governance Board Member

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 2:18 AM Tony Noble <tony.no...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another vote for allowlist/denylist (or blocklist).
>
> Controller/Agent is a sensible replacement for the master/slave paradigm
> and has the benefit of being self-describing.  I don't see that there
> should be any confusion between Jenkins controller and Kubernetes
> controller any more than there would be with any other type of controller.
> "Server" should apply to the host, IMO.
>
> Tony
>
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 3:30 PM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.nenas...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I started a Google Doc to capture proposals and votes
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8myIWOZZktR0HNtbFIiNA0RfDCvkfKKuNI0C3wcvbo/edit?usp=sharing
>>

>> On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 12:30:47 AM UTC+2, Tammy Fox wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 for allowlist/denylist to be consistent with what other communities
>>> are using.
>>>
>>> I have 3 suggestions to replace Master:
>>>
>>> 1. Director
>>> 2. Expeditor