But I don't want to restrict where the job runs, just where the node runs.

I have code that needs to run on the master, and code that needs to run on
the slaves.

The code is running in the correct places, I can for example do a mercurial
checkout on the slaves, I can also run batch files on the slaves, and
visual studio (or I could, that bit's disabled as I'm working on this, but
it worked before).

Buildsteps do what they should, on the slave

but groovy file commands don't.