I can see why some people would find the comment requirement annoying,
but coming from using svn for source code it seems very natural to me.
I added a bunch of nodes for shops in my town last night and had no
trouble typing "add some stores in Lower Village, and move some" or
something like that.  As Frederik said it took almost no time compared
to placing and tagging the points.

The deeper consequence is that this mechanism will probably lead me to
make edits in logical groups.  This is very similar to the "clean
changeset" notion in subversion.  Not that we're going to have stable
branches of the data, and merge changes to map releases, but when we
talk about browsing changesets and possibly reverting them, it makes
sense to have related changes grouped together.

I browsed history for my area, and there are mostly global-scale edits
with huge bounding boxes.  Really I'd like to see some sort of
"changeset has a node or way that is in or crossed my query bounding
box" since I think most of these global edits do not change anything in
my area.  Having comments explaining the purpose of such changes would
be nice, so hopefully that will happen.

I think I was running into the "changeset still open" behavior and
didn't quite understand it- I did several uploads and was seeing the
list of previous changes in the comment prompt even though they weren't
modified.  I was only running r1526 though and will see if that persists
in r1541.