> On Wed, 17 Jun 2015, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>
>> I wish it was that simple. While the Debian Policy does not explicitly
>> require splitting out embedded dependencies, it's a very common
>> packaging
>> best practice.
>
> A recommendation is still no requirement.
>
>> Debian does recommend upstream developers to not include 3rd party code,
>> see:
>
> While there are common practices to make software packaging friendly, it
> is strange when a distribution tries the explain developers how they
> should develop their software. Especially as Debian does not follow common
> guidelines itself.

Do you have concrete examples or are your just spreading FUD?

>>> So Debian packages do a lot of actually unnecessary work and need
>>> constant
>>> adaption to changing source code. But that's the choice of package
>>> maintainers and no requirement.
>>
>> This attitude makes me want to remove the josm package from Debian
>> again.
>>
>> Last time this caused a number of users of the josm package in Debian to
>> object, instead of pushing for the removal of the package I started to
>> co-maintain the package. That went surprisingly well until recently,
>> mostly thanks to Vincent who's been a superb upstream to work with.
>
> Because Vincent is a nice guy and tries to make everybody happy. And
> probably also because he does not know the whole history.
>
> But if I look at the history, then from all the possible Linux
> distributions out there packaging JOSM only Debian is coming permanently
> to request that we change it here and there and do that and this. And
> because of self-applied restriction which aren't even required.

Do you understand the point of view of a distribution like Debian?

It's clear that you don't share Debians concerns for software freedom and
focus on quality. And you're not alone in that, that's why it's always
Debian people that bring up those issues, the rest of the Open Source
community doesn't care enough.

> And together with that requests from our side have simply been ignored
> many times. E.g. the debian build is still not marked in a way, that we
> could see them in our stats. Recomendation still is to add "DEBIAN" or
> "D" in the version string like "SVN" for the self-builds.

I'm happy to make such a change, but this request is unknown to me. The
previous maintainer is unable to maintain his many packages, it's quite
likely he's the only one who was asked this.

Do you care enough about this issue to file a bug report so that it
doesn't get lost again (e.g. when I give up on josm packaging out of sheer
frustration)?

Refer to the documentation how to file a bug using the reportbug utilty or
plain email:

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

Kind Regards,

Bas