Hi joynetters,
To understand the reason for celebrating ash wednesday and ash monday we have to study
the history of the church..
The church in the early days was distributed in structure and was mainly centered
around three places.. Rome, antioch in syria and constantinople ..The church grew and
was established during the roman empire..
Constantine gave credibility to the christian religion and stopped the persecution
that his predeccesors had begun.
But after constantine the roman empire became weaker and slowly there was a split in
the roman empire, west and east..
each of these centres by then had developed their own liturgy ,their own scriptures
etc. their own hierarchy also. this is around 300 A.D.
Till then there was no bible as such.. the bible was compiled much later around 450
a.d at the time of st. augustine
hence we have the two major groups among the older churches...
The Roman catholic church whose head is the pope and the Orthodox church whose head is
the patriach.
The orthodox churches have several types.. greek , syrian, russian, armenian etc.
the syro-malabar and the malankara rites of the catholic church are very old churches
in their own right and have developed traditions of their own.. which are derived from
the syrian liturgy..
But they are affiliated to the Bishop of Rome that is the Pope...
Hence you will find that the latin rite will celebrate some feasts on a different day
and the syro-malabar rite will celebrate on different days..
Ash monday  and ash wednesday are also according to same lines.
The orthodox churches dont consider sundays in lent as part of lent.. so to account
for 40 days fasting during lent, they begin from monday which is also the start of the
week..and hence the right time to begin anything..according to them..
It doesnt matter how many days we observe in lent.. what matters is how well do we
observe the season of lent.. does it lead us to examine our lives..
love and prayers
Ravi

 jannet fernandez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Hi,
It would be helpful is somebody can throw light on this. Atleast we can know how the
Ash Wednesday and Ash Monday came into the Catholic chruch.
Also while attending SM mass I have often heard my priest saying " The Latin Catholic
church is celebrating so and so feast today". Why such differences within the catholic
chruch itself?
All through my life I was under the impression that the catholic church was divided
into MC, SC and LC based on caste differences. But now I feel there are more
differences. Please do help us.
Love in Jesus,
Jannet

joseph john wrote:Primeson,
I too had the same doubt long time ago, but I forgot about it. But yesterday while we
went for the Holy mass in our Parish, the parish priest said the same explanation
during the homily, as ur friend said. The English priest was telling that in olden
days Sunday was not counted as a fasting day. So counting the days from Wednesday to
the Easter Saturday it comes to 40 days. But Iam not sure of the Ash Monday.
love n prayers
Joseph / Crawley / U.K