I have a 'slow computer'  that is 6 years old hardware, has been
upgraded from windows 3.1 and upward, to the current XP without ever a
wipe and reinstall.  I figure I'm a worst-case scenario if there ever
was one. ;-)

I routinely find pages loading extremely slow from javascript-intense
sites.   But these test cases run equally-smooth with jquery or
mootools, for me.

I would throw out another possibility here - the particular javascript
engine that the browser is using.  Might want to check that.  (NOTE: I
just tried to figure out what version I am using, but danged if I can
find anything that tells me what version it is.  Give me a pointer
what to look for and I'll look again if you want me to).