On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 1:00 PM Menno Smits <menno.sm...@canonical.com>
wrote:

> While working on the environment migrations spec I noticed that it is
> currently not possible to change the name of a Juju environment once it has
> been created. This creates an unfortunate corner case in the context of
> environment migrations, where you might have an environment that can't be
> migrated to another controller because you've already created another
> (unrelated) environment with the same name on the target controller.
>
> Rick pointed out that it would also be nice to be able to rename an
> environment when its purpose has changed. For example, you might have
> created an environment called "test" which you build up and end up using
> for production purposes. At that point the environment name doesn't make
> much sense.
>
> We will fix this. The rename itself is fairly easy to implement but
> environment names have also been used as part of things such as EC2 and
> Openstack security group names so this will need to change too. It would be
> better if the names of external environment-related resources used the
> environment UUID instead. There is a card for this work in Onyx's backlog.

It was specifically requested that we include the environment name in
resource names for debugging purposes (e.g. I'm looking at the AWS console
and want to know which Juju machine this instance corresponds to). Some of
this was done in 1.25, some was pre-existing.

These requirements are at odds with each other. Just wondering if this has
been considered.

Cheers,
Andrew