[My reponse here is kind of off-topic for Julia, but on graphics..]

Similar to other GPU/OpenGL wrapper stuff for Julia I've seen, is the
overhead low, as in 0% or low single digits?

On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 11:04:41 AM UTC, Simon Danisch wrote:

> Well, Julia is not directly at work here and its not really about ray
> tracing ;)

Now I'm a little confused.. At first I didn't look to closely, just at the
pictures..

Are you saying this is just for shaders and the OpenGL paradigm is still
used only allowing you to embed a ray tracer as one option in a shader? To
you still then have to take care of no overdraw and get the right triangles
to paint? E.g. not work in screenspace?

> You need to write the shader in GLSL
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL_Shading_Language>, which is more
> C-like.
> That said, I'm pretty sure that the ray tracing examples are faster than
> most of the ray tracing examples listed in the links.
> It runs even on on-board GPU's in real time.

I have a crappy GPU so can't confirm, but find this hard to believe.. E.g.
here, from this year they say interactive:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/03/19/ray-tracing-death-ray/

E.g. good enough for graphics people, but last cool tech demo I looked at
showed graphics breaking up and took several frames to get right after the
movement stopped. If/when you get true real-time ray-tracing (a few years
back, there where specialized chips/boards/APIs for it) on regular GPUs,
the older paradigm is dead (it has higher time complexity). Then it is only
a matter of time until the low end chips can do real-time also. For a time,
at least, both old style, and ray-tracing, needs to be supported in the
same chips, as the regular public will not buy specialized chips (or both!)
or you would have a chicken and egg situation.

The algorithms allow only for very limited ray tracing, but work nicely on
> the GPU.

Still cool if this is the state of the art, and even with Julia.
--
Palli.