Can you explain the setup further -- Where is the REPL running? How are you
interacting with it? If I take "I want to temporarily switch the REPL off,
i.e. it should visually disappear" literally then it seems like a strange
thing to do, so I may be missing something

If you *do* want to hide the terminal window (if any) the REPL is (may be)
running in, that's going to be very hard to do generally and across
platforms (on Windows under Console you can use GetActiveWindow or
GetActiveConsole, but on real pty platforms the process doesn't necessarily
know anything about the terminal it is connected to beyond termcap and i/o).