I think it depends how the vulnerability is discovered. If its discovered by groups that are likely to exploit the issue, I'd prefer Juniper tell me NOW. If it is discovered internally by Juniper technicians (or in a trusted customer lab), I'm OK with Juniper fixing the issue and releasing details 6 months later.

I suppose severity of the exploit is another sliding metric for whether I want to know immediately or not.

-brad

On Jan 7, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Darrell Root wrote:


Anyone know why some issues identified as early as January 2009 are only being "released" now almost a year later? Just curious on some of these
security alerts and timeframe...

If Juniper finds a security DDOS vulnerability, and it's not general knowledge, I'd prefer them to integrate the fix into their code without an announcement. That way, by the time the hackers find out about the vulnerability, the fix may have already been
deployed to many of our affected routers.

In this case that saved me a crash upgrade project. By the time it was announced
I already had the fixed code on my JunOS boxes.

Darrell
_______________________________________________
juniper-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/juniper-nsp

Reply via email to