Hi,

On 10/04/2018 9:45 AM, mike+j...@willitsonline.com wrote:
     I see there is a terrific amount of used mx104 and mx240 out there
and the specs all seem great. What I'm looking to do is have 2x 10g
feeds, route bgp, do flow exporting, and do a certain amount of ingress
filtering to protect the network from ddos.Id even like to do cgnat for
up to 5000 users but not sure if a single box setup would be wise.

I can't speak for the MX240, but we have some deployments of the MX104, MX80 and the vMX.

For the MX104 (and the MX80) the main limitation they have is that the CPU on the routing engine is terribly slow. This can be a problem for you if you are taking multiple full tables with BGP. Even without taking full tables, the RE CPU on the MX104's I have is basically always at 100%. Commits are pretty slow as well. This shouldn't be such an issue with the MX240 as it has a wider range of routing engines available with much better specs.

The MX104's (and MX80's) have the MS-MIC-16G installed. We use the MS-MIC-16G for IPSEC, NAT and stateful firewalling (service filters are used to only send certain traffic to the stateful firewall). So far there has only been 1 issue that I have personally encountered with the MS-MIC-16 - the card has crashed on a previous release of JunOS when adding a large number of IPSEC peers. Since upgraded I have not experienced the same issue though.

I also have some vMX's deployed (they are running on top of Dell R740's with 3 x Intel X710 cards to give 12 x 10G interfaces). The painful part on getting the vMX to work was the host setup with KVM - the documents are severly lacking on Junipers side (but I have written up the exact instructions to get the most recent 18.1R1 release working on CentOS with no issues).

So far after getting the issues with the KVM host ironed out I have been very happy with the performance of the vMX. Since 17.4R1 you can deploy a virtual MS-MPC (which requires extra CPU resources) which will give you NAT support as well as stateful firewalling support. Since its virtualised and the RE runs as a seperate VM you can assign more or less resources to it as needed - I have 16G of RAM allocated with 6 cores and the time to process/install a full table is only a few seconds. They have survived some DDoS attacks that were large enough to fill up the transit links with no issues as well. The biggest thing is to make sure you get NIC's that support SR-IOV and make sure the CPU is fast enough/has enough cores for your requirements (you cannot over-allocate the cores!). For my use case, I don't think I will be buying any more physical MX's unless I have an actual reason to need their hardware, the vMX suites my needs just fine. Juniper does provide a (limited) demo of the vMX, happy to send you the install guide I wrote up for getting it working on KVM with CentOS 7.4 (Ubuntu is also supported for KVM but the install process is basically terrible).