Lorenzo wrote:
>> You can tell IPC standards was written by engineers that haven't done real
>> life design work --
>> some of the text sounds like it was written by lawyers <yuck>.
>
> You actually have found the specs or have you paid for them? I'd love to see
> the rationale for
> some of their formulas (like SOIC pads that sometimes are round and sometimes
> are squareds)

You can find the specs via google

A key to seeing what they are up to is in the ipc software that I posted the
link to yesterday..

>> Anyway - the problem is there really isn't one pad size for an 0805 that
>> works - there are
>> variants for density vs reliability trade offs and to really optimize the
>> pad you need to
>> consider the thickness of the part.  (should the 0805 (2012 Metric) be
>> called a 201250 Metric?)
>>

> Not only that, there are other technological constraint. Like when you work
> on 70um copper or you
> do a board to be conformal-coated, the pads' shapes change a little...
>
>> I found this: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljh4timm/pcb-fpw/pcb-fpw.html
>>
>> It would be cool if someone tweaked pcb-fpw to to produce kicad footprint
>> libraries..
>
> I could give it a look. I've already done some library generation, kicad
> format is actually
> trivial...

pcb-fpw is sort of an opensource version of

http://landpatterns.ipc.org/files/PCBM_LP_Calculator_V2009-0831.zip

All of it is for supporting IPC-7351.  pcb-fpw was written to support the
competing opensource 'pcb'
package - might work to have a script to translate the modules?

pcb-fpw is open source, so it would be possible to modify add it to the kicad
suite .. seems to be
written in java-bloat..

The separate names for a cap and resistor 0805 package is silly - I could see
building a library
with 080505 to specify the thickness for out of the ordinary parts. I could
also see having three
libraries - as the SNM7351B SNL7351B SMN7351B. (I found a thermistor that is
thin and matches the
thickness of the SM MOSFETS so it it touches the heatsink)..

The M,N,and L are for most, Nominal and least -- describes most compromises
folks would run into..

I'm also making my modules with different silk screen and a part outline on the
drawing level.

There are also custom case numbers that should probably be organized via part
vendor.

One thing to point out is these case sizes originate in metric - the imperial
notation is approximate.

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail k...@xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

When angry count four; when very angry, swear. --Mark Twain