Hello Viz,

GATE is a platform. This allows it various components to be plugged into it. Various components of GATE have different licenses I think.
Some processing resources are hard  and/or time consuming to implement.
Implementing the needed components for Chinese is probably such an example.
One can create a GATE processing resource and make it free for research and paid for commercial projects. I think this makes sense as it is always better to have more modules and some of them being paid than
having nothing at all.

I even see it as business opportunity for software companies to start developing plugins/processing components for GATE.

I wanted to encourage you not to give on Chinese support in GATE, hope this helps.

--
Best regards,
Anton Andreev

Anton Andreev wrote:
Hello Viz,

1. How to add your onotlogy?
1.1. You can use a tool in the/ \bin\tools/ called "toolRdfImport.bat(.sh)" which requires a folder as a parameter. The tool will import all files in the specified folder.

d:\kim\bin\tools\>toolrdfimport c:\test\owl

Every time you add a new property you can just use this tool over the same file. Check the documentation http://ontotext.com/kim/doc/sys-doc/RDFImport.html
With "toolRdfImport.bat" you can only add knowledge.

1. 2. Usually all knowledge-base files reside in "\kim\context\default\kb" and OWL files are in the subfolder "owl". The second option is to edit the file/ \config\owlim.ttl/. As the name tells this file configures the OWLIM <http://ontotext.com/owlim/> database. You need to add a new line in both "imports" and "defaultNS". The first line points to your OWL file and the one in "defaultNS" must be at same row number as in "imports". Every line in "imports" has a corresponding line in "defaultNS". Both sections must have the same row number count (obviously). Then you need to delete the contents of your /\context\default\populated/ folder and restart KIM. Keep in mind that by deleting /\context\default\populated/ you will lose all data loaded through KIM GATE UI or the "/\bin\tools\toolConsolePopulate /". You will also need to wait longer for KIM to start than usual, so that indexes and cache are built again.

2. Support for another language
I see my colleague Phillip has just answered your question. GATE support is really the most important factor.You should also check the amount of knowledge base available in RDF/OWL in Chinese(if you haven't already). For example I see that dbpedia.org supports not only English, but also Chinese.