Like Joe, I also have a small composite header tank and wing tanks.  I carry 9
gallons in the header and 6 1/2 in either wing.  I run gravity feed from the
header at all times, and transfer fuel from the wings to the header
periodically in flight.  With this type of configuration, I see very little CG
shift on any given flight.  Some people don't like having fuel in the cockpit.
Some of us don't mind having header tanks.  That's your call for your own
safety.  Not having a header tank in the way makes maintenance behind the panel
easier.  Ultimately, it's your call.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM

-------------------------

Subject: Re: KR> Fuel header tank
Hi Deon,
I have a KR-2s with a 12 gal. header tank and am currently building another
that I retained the same idea but in a slightly smaller form of 7.5 gal. My
theory is that gravity never quits so fuel flow would never quit. Having said
that the KR2 is much more pitch sensitive. During any cross country flight I
probably only adjust trim one time as the fuel is burned off the header tank
and it is really not an issue for the 2s stability. The other main issue is
safety which is up to any one persons own tolerance. I personally have a
fiberglass header tank and the plan is not to break it. That is not good enough
for many good men. You have an aluminum tank which may or may not be stronger
and less resistant to a rupture. Another down side to wing only is the fuel
line and pump layout and operations.
    Having mentioned all these items I would likely put in wing tanks and ditch
the header. I do not know what stag of completion the plane is in but maybe
adding to the fuselage length is an option. It would be a far safer airplane by
all accounts.
Joe Horotn,
N357cj