> "The partial KR2 (original design) I have bought is fitted with an
aluminum fuel tank in front of the instrument panel. From the information
I have available this is not a good idea (shift of CoG, fire danger
etc.)"

On the contrary, if you've got an aluminum tank it means it's removable.
You can't imagine what an advantage that is unless you've got a KR with a
fixed fiberglass tank (as per plans).  Having the latter is a nightmare
if you need to bleed your brakes or get behind the panel - and who is it
that doesn't need to do both of these things?

My aluminum header tank is 17.2 gallons and I've flown it to almost zero
fuel many times with no problem.  Usually on trips where I'm landing with
almost zero fuel, I've got my baggage area (quite large) behind the seat
full of all kinds of stuff which further contributes to an aft CG
situation.

My KR (Ken Cottle's KR-1½) is 15 feet 8½ inches so it's a little longer
than a stock KR . . . one of which I owned back in the 80's.  The extra
length I've got gives me significantly more room for my baggage
compartment and also makes it a nicer handling aircraft.  Part of the
extended fuselage length is ahead of the CG, so it balances out really
nicely.

Once you get familiar with flying with an aft CG it's like anything else,
no big deal.

Mike
KSEE