On 1/30/2015 6:54 AM, Chris Prata via KRnet wrote:
> This article says installing ANY ADS-B equipment may not be an option for
> experimentals.
> http://macsblog.com/2014/12/can-you-install-ads-b-now-maybe-not/

Reading the comments, it looks like Mac got this one wrong.  No one has
been able to locate any FAA regulation that says it isn't okay to
install ADS-B equipment in an E-AB aircraft and be compliant come 2020.

FARs 91.225 and 91.227 do apply to E-AB aircraft, but there is nothing
there that prevents the installation and use in an E-AB aircraft.

Then there is AC20-165 "Airworthiness Approval of Automatic Dependent
Surveillance - Broadcast (ADS-B) Out Systems":
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...%2020-165A.pdf

However, note in section 1-1b that it states:

"b. This AC is not mandatory and does not constitute a regulation. This
AC describes an acceptable means, but not the only means, to install
ADS-B OUT equipment. "

Since this is not mandatory and does not constitute a regulation, it
does not seemingly apply to E-AB aircraft, including all of the verbiage
of STCs and such in this document.

Further, we still have 5 years before anything is required, and a lot
can change by then.  I'm not overly concerned about it.  I have a TT22
with ADS-B Out and absolutely love the ability to have the assistance of
ADS-B to find other traffic.

> Also, generally, some reader comments suggest that ADS-B will be used for
> "user fees" and to "generate violations" since your plane is constantly
> reporting such precise location info that getting a few feet too close to an
> obstacle, or not high enough over "congested areas" to effect a safe power
> off landing, and so on.

This, unfortunately, seems like a very real possibility.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV - EAA Chapter 87
Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118 N421DJ - http://deej.net/sportsman/