Hi Mike

It's a permanent magnet alternator. It outputs a sine wave AC that is rectified
to DC electronically by the regulator and then regulated to 14.8 volts. A
generator puts out DC, the rectification is accomplished physically by the
commutator and brushes within it. Your PMA won't deliver a charge at idle off a
direct drive...it doesn't spin fast enough. If it were a field driven
alternator then things would be different.

Regards John

John Martindale
29 Jane Circuit
Toormina NSW 2452