At 10:48 PM 12/12/2015, you wrote:
>Concerning Dual ignition: I also get 100 rpm more with both ignitions on.

The reason for an rpm increase is because two plugs firing in the
cylinder gives a better flame front and thus a faster burn.  Once the
cylinder volume reaches a certain size, adding a second plug will
increase performance.  That's the primary reason we get a drop in rpm
when doing a mag check with aircraft type engines.  I'm not certain
if the VW's reach that cylinder volume or not but I suspect they
do.  The other critical variable is spark timing.  Electronic
ignitions with variable timing can be adjusted for best performance
at higher rpm's without creating problems at idle.

Larry Flesner