Jeff, for smaller volume cylinders, it's a Ford vs Chevy argument about
whether to use one or two plugs per cylinder and the debate will rage on
long after we've passed.  I prefer single plug where possible due to 1.
flame front calculations, 2. fewer holes in the head for stronger
structural integrity, and 3. lower overall cost and maintenance.
Yes, beyond a certain volume, two plugs are absolutely required.

Don't even get me started on the mag versus electronic ignition debate...

David M.