Date: Saturday, Jan.28,2017 Subject: Melting lead and safety precautions When making my counter weights, I built some molds out of plaster of Paris to shape then used the female mold to pour melted lead into.
ONE VERY IMPORTANT POINT HERE; that is heat the mold (plaster) in the oven to a high temperature to ensure there is NO water left in the plaster PRIOR to pouring molten lead in it. FAILURE to do this will result in an explosion of molten lead that will cover everything with in a 10 ft radius INCLUDING the person pouring the lead! ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTIVE CLOTHING, GLOVES, EYE, FACE, ARM, AND BODY PROTECTION. Molds can also be made from cardboard and masking tape, yes some of the tape and cardboard will burn but will not leak before the lead solidifies and is easily removed. Thanks Parley Byington N54PB Kr-2 Original with retracts Henderson Nv. 89015 byington1...@embarqmail.com On Jan 28, 2017, at 12:10, Mike T via KRnet <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > I have melted lead many times on the stove and I think all my brain cells > remain intact. You're melting it, not boiling it, so the amount getting > into the air is insignificant. Obviously don't ever use the pot again for > food. A tin can sounds like a good idea. <snip> _______________________________________________ Search the KRnet Archives at http://tugantek.com/archmailv2-kr/search. Please see LIST RULES and KRnet info at http://www.krnet.org/info.html. see http://list.krnet.org/mailman/listinfo/krnet_list.krnet.org to change options To UNsubscribe from KRnet, send a message to krnet-le...@list.krnet.org