Date: Saturday, Jan.28,2017
Subject: Melting lead and safety precautions

When making my counter weights, I built some molds out of plaster of Paris to
shape  then used the female mold to pour melted lead into.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT POINT HERE; that is heat the mold (plaster) in the oven to a
high temperature to ensure there is NO water left in the plaster PRIOR to
pouring molten lead in it.  FAILURE to do this will result in an explosion of
molten lead that will cover everything with in a 10 ft radius INCLUDING the
person pouring the lead!  ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTIVE CLOTHING, GLOVES, EYE, FACE,
ARM, AND BODY PROTECTION.

Molds can also be made from cardboard and masking tape, yes some of the tape
and cardboard will burn but will not leak before the lead solidifies and is
easily removed.

Thanks
Parley Byington
N54PB Kr-2 Original with retracts
Henderson Nv. 89015
byington1...@embarqmail.com

On Jan 28, 2017, at 12:10, Mike T via KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org> wrote:

> I have melted lead many times on the stove and I think all my brain cells
> remain intact. You're melting it, not boiling it, so the amount getting
> into the air is insignificant.  Obviously don't ever use the pot again for
> food.  A tin can sounds like a good idea.

<snip>