Some of you may remember Dennis Pointers slick KR2. I trailered it to Oshkosh
behind my motorhome that I had at that time for him to put on display. I was
sure glad that the wings would come off of it. Some of you have taken the wings
off of your KR2s and taken them home for repairs before, I bet you were glad
the WAFS were there or at least that the wings would come off easily.
  I plan on traveling a lot one of these days and may want to carry my airplane
with me in a Toy Hauler camping trailer for example. My wife is a school
teacher and we have spent up to 6 weeks at a time on the Texas coast in summers
past. It would have been nice to have had a KR2 with me during those times to
fly and look around or come back to my office when I was needed rather than
drive 7 or 8 hours.
  I like the idea of wings being able to come off easily, just in case a guy
has a problem somewhere and needs to transport the airplane. If a guy got stuck
in weather somewhere (like the upcoming gathering)and really had to get home,
it is not inconceiveable that he could rent a U Haul truck and take his plane
and himself home in an emergency. Depending on how far from home he is it may
be less expensive to do this than buy an airline ticket two ways plus storage
of the airplane until he came back for it.
  I think Bob P was talking about making his spars extend into the fuselage
overlapping one another like the RV series of airplanes do as does most
gliders. This way no WAFs are necessary at the fuselage walls. I think some
gliders have a box structure built in which is basically a center section spar.
The two wing spars slide inside of this box and one or more quick release pins
pass through all webs to hold in place.
  Larry H.

Ron Freiberger <ronandmar...@earthlink.net> wrote:
  . Why does everyone write about WAFs as if they are a
problem? There's no evidence to support an issue.
It's handy to have the center section/gear/fuselage as a one piece
roll-around.