For what its worth, there are already a few "open" Eris and glass cockpit
projects out there, some usable but still lacking. Do a Google search for
"open efis" or "open glass cockpit". I'm a software guy and have half
worked on one of my own. Linux is the way to go. It will run faster on the
same hardware than Winblows will.

Phill