Hi All,

I have been watching this list for a while as I was looking for a KR-1 to buy.
Well, I have finally bought a previously completed but never flown project. I
now need to modify it to swap out the original 1600cc motor for my 2100D -
actually the builder/previous owner is doing this and other work for me under
my guidance and approval. I thought I would publish the progress here in case
it helps anyone else, or others here might be able to offer their thoughts as
the modification proceeds.

The first challenges encountered when comparing engines are:

1.  The Remaster intake system is on top of the cylinders, whereas the original
custom intake was displaced laterally outside the cylinders so the cowling
does not fit. The builder has suggested and I have agreed that he modify the
Remaster intake positioning to the same place as the 1600 motor.

2.  The original mount (for the 1600 engine) can be modified slightly for the
revised mounting geometry of the 2100d but the space between firewall and the
remaster case is slightly too small for the Dual magneto setup. I had been
strongly considering swapping the magnetos for a SDS Coil Pack Ignition system
anyhow, so this has just made that decision easier. I will of course need a
battery backup system for a non-magneto system. I will design and install that
myself.

3.  The unfared stub exhausts of the 1600 will be replaced by a more
aerodynamic Revmaster exhaust system, but this will entail modifying the lower
cowling to hose this arrangement internally. I will speak to Revmaster to see
which of their exhaust systems (Q2, or KR-2 etc) is the best candidate for this
application.

4.  The Remaster Prop hub sits 3.5-4 inches further forward than the original
1600 engine hub, so the cowling will be modified to incorporate this too.

The builder has also agreed to lower the seat base and recline the seat back,
strengthening the structure for a rollover hoop/headrest, and shoulder harness
attachment too.

One day into the project and lots of challenges encountered. Let’s hope this
isn’t a sign…

Tristan