Bringing my KR home from the Gathering I had a radio problem that was not immediately correctable with a new battery in the noise cancelling headset as in the past.  I did some checking this morning and found one of the plugs on the headset had a poor connection and not allowing the  9 volt battery to power the headset / intercom interface.  That problem fixed.  I have another problem that someone might know the answer to and save me doing a lot of troubleshooting.  Many months ago (2 years possibly) my radio emits a loud squeal when I hit the transmit button after engine start and the problem continues for about 5 minutes and then goes away and it is crystal clear until the next cold engine start.  Engine start and stop the rest of the day is not a problem.  I have been blaming it on battery low voltage from setting since last flight.  The alternator output is low until I get higher engine rpm.  This morning I tested that theory by putting a battery charger on the battery and charging at 13.5 volts and the problem was still there.  Thinking it might take a bit for the radio / intercom or something to warm up a component I left the radio / intercom on for about 30 minutes or so and same problem.  It must be something in the charging / regulating system.  I have a capacitor in the system and assuming it is good I'm at a loss as to how to find the problem without changing out a $700 B&C alternator and / or regulator.  If I start throwing parts at the problem I'd start with the regulator.  So far I've just been waiting for the squeal to go away but it is annoying.

Guesses????????????

Larry Flesner