I experienced them in older versions of LibreOffice in German, where the old behaviour were used.

I changed (and proofreaded, while at it) already our help in German with the syntax:

<bookmark_value>blah; blubb</bookmark_value><boookmark_value>foo; bar</bookmark_value>

So there should be correct.

But I will have a closer look in the next days for examples.
I think the patches with this kind of changes in
can wait and lurk in gerrit meanwhile. ;-)

Others can be merge meanwhile,
b/c the double spaces appear in flowing text only.