Katrina wrote:

< RA destroys the synovial lining in the joints- this is
what leads to the deformity of the joints. >

I've had RA for eleven years. For the first five it was one DMARD 3 times a
day, and then it started to get away. I have frequent flare-ups even on 2
different DMARDS, anti-inflamatories, steroids and pain killers, and my
blood tests have shown my inflammation level to be zero for only about 9
months of the last 6 years. Earlier this year, the month I was to go on a
new drug trial. The inflammation settled to zero, so I'm staying on the
above set of drugs (plus of course another 5 to counteract the side effects
of the first 5! :-D). I'm not suitable for Anti-TNF treatment.

But the point is that a couple of  weeks ago the rheumatologist commented on
what she described as "the fantastic condition" of my hands. I have only 3
joints with a very little deformity and no drift (where the fingers bend
sideways). I have three or four months of each year where I just can't make
lace even by lifting the bobbins by the beads because the joints are too
inflamed and I rest them in splints.  She said that I'm obviously doing
everything right - keeping the fingers moving by using a computer keboard
and by making lace, but resting them when it's uncomfortable. Neither of
those strain the joints.

So if you know someone with arthritis encourage them to try lacemaking, but
they should discuss it with their medics first - after all you're supposed
to discuss any exercise programme with your doctor before embarking on it
:-).

Jean in Poole

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to