On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 07:41:09 +0100, Annette wrote:
>Thank you for all your comments about using Continental bobbins.  I shall
>definitely try them.  It hadn't occured to me that a different pillow shape
>might work better with continentals, or that you could lace with the palms
>facing up.  I have a slightly domed 16" pillow at the moment, but am thinking
>of buying a block pillow to do longer lengths of lace.  The bolster pillow -
>is that a sausage-shaped (cylindrical) pillow, with the bobbins hanging off
>it?  Can this be used to make Torchon and Bucks Point? At the moment I'm doing
>miniature Torchon (for dolls houses) but want to try Bucks Point soon.
You can make any type of lace on any type of pillow - but some combinations
will be more comfortable.  I've seen both Torchon and Bucks Point made on
bolster pillows.  I haven't used a bolster pillow myself, but I'll pass on
an opinion from friends who have.  They say that because the bobbins hang,
there is a lot of tension on the thread.  This can distort the lace when
working with finer threads.  You might find that Bucks would distort, as it
is usually made with size 80 cotton or finer.  

>I like the suggestion of using velvet under the bobbins to stop them rolling
>around - will try that.
I made 2 work cloths from stretchy velvet fabric.  The velvet has a very
short nap, so it doesn't shed.  Works well for me.  This is one of my
favourite work cloths because I made an L shape, very useful when doing
anything with corners like edgings.

I started with spangled bobbins and didn't touch an unspangled one in the
first 5 years.  The first time I tried unspangled bobbins they rolled all
over the place, I cursed them and thought I'd never be able to cope with
them.  However, that was on a domed pillow used at an angle.  I decided to
tackle unspangled bobbins again because the weight of the spangles on
Midlands bobbins was distorting the thread paths in Binche made with 100
cotton.  This time I acquired a flat pillow and use it horizontal, and had
no problem at all.  So I'd suggest trying that combination first - there are
good flat block pillows which might suit.

--
I am logged in, therefore I am.
Steph Peters  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm>

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to