What does IOLI mean to me....for one I do think it is international. I have seen
patterns and articles from Ann Keller from Ireland, Lia Baumeister-Jonker from The
Netherlands, and people from all over in the bullentin. For me IOLI has brought me
closer to other people that enjoy the same thing as me and that is Lace wether it is
tatted, crocheted, knitted, bobbinlaced or just made with a plain ordinary needle.Lace
is so beautiful for the eye to behold!! Don't you all think so??!!
   IOLI gives me a chance to see what other lacers are making. It shows me in pictures
the variety of different kinds of lace. It also shows me other pictures of lacers.
Helps me to put a face with other lacers in the world.
   Funny of all the time I wasted. I have been tatting for many years. I thought I was
all alone in my busy, working, isolated life. I thought I was the only one that tatted
for I never saw anybody else doing it. I now know I am not alone...and there are many
shutttles and needles flying around. And when I got my computer a few years ago...well
all I can say is WOW...what I didn't know was out there!!! So much.
   About 5 years ago....I spent a month in the UK and Ireland. While I was in England
I bought a bobbin for a souvenir in a lace store that was in the cobbles of York.
BTW....if anyone on the list can tell me what the name and address of that store in
York please let me know. Years ago..I tried writing to York to find out and all they
sent me was information of places to see there. I want to order some more bobbins from
that store. It was a lace store. Like I said in the cobbles of York...down from York
Minster Abby. Back to the story anyhow...I didn't even know what to do with the bobbin
but....it was so pretty. Now I know....and it is always on my lace pillow to remind me
of the happy time I had on my trip.
   A few months later I went to Ithaca to check out their lace display and find out
what it was all about. On the display there was this Bedfordshire bookmark with a
thistle, designed I found out later by Jean Leader and done by someone in Pa. Being my
mind was still very fresh with what I had seen and learned when I was in
Scotland...that bookmark called to me. That bookmark was the fire that was set inside
of me to learn how to do bobbinlace. So over to the try out pillow I went. I have been
hooked ever since.:)) big smile.
   Since then...I am like a sponge...looking for lace everywhere...in antique
shops...and especially in my lace magazines and the internet. As you all know...there
are NO lace magazines on the newsstands except for an occational Anna magazine. So I
am so grateful for all of those that contribute to IOLI bullentin. I should
mention...I also belong to the Hollies Lace in England. But for me it is a real thrill
to get my bullentin in the mail. All I have to do is walk to my mailbox and get it. If
it wasn't for either one of these magazines I would be really lost. I have learned
much from both magazines and love looking at them over and over again.
   This morning for instance I was brain dead....nothing new for me...I am brain dead
every morning. All the brain can handle is looking at things. A couple years ago at
Ithaca during a raffle I won some old back issue of the IOLI Bullentin. You would have
thought I won gold....but I was so thrilled. This morning I looked at them again.
There are some great patterns in them for one Summer 1993....I just love the pillow
with the 4 rollers shown on the back cover...just think if I had one of those I could
be making four different laces on one pillow...just boggles the mind I can tell
you...in another issue...Spring 1992...there are all kinds of butterfly
patterns...then in the Summer 1994 there is the cool looking X-mas tree that Tamara
did....I could go on and on...but I just love my lace magazines!!!!!
   Debra Jenny...is doing a marvolous job I think with doing the magazines. I love the
color pictures that are now in the bullentin. ...and right now...I CAN"T WAIT for the
next issue to come in the mail to see all that was there at the convention and to
hopefully read some stories on the convention since I couldn't be there. But at the
moment I am planning and hoping I can be there for next year's convention in
Pennslyvania. Keeping my fingers crossed until then.
   Sorry this is so long...please forgive me...I don't post much....but I hope someone
enjoyed all the many words I just typed here and I hope this email will go to the
right address this time.
  Sherry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Canandaigua, New York USA