Dear Lacemakers,

Aurelia's mention of her lace fans reminded me that newbies might like to
look at The Fan Museum website, even though I could not find lace fans this
time
around:

www.fan-museum.org

My re-vist to this museum web site brings back pleasant memories. Over 3,500
fans and fan leaves - from the 11th century to the present are in the
collection, but only a few are on display at any one time.  (I originally
thought the
museum would be larger.)  They offer *conservation services* for other museums
and the public.  If you know someone who is a collector, look at the Gift
Shop items for sale - books, jewelry, etc. with a fan theme.  Often, you can
order the books in your own country.  Within walking distance of this museum
are a
pub (or more) and some shops in which to rummage for forgotten treasures
(amidst the junk).
---
To continue about fans:  At the Costume Society of America symposium in
Philadelphia in May, we were treated to a demonstration of novelty hand fans -
some
were parasols, some were disguised as daggers and floral bouquets, others as
games and toys (a book is being written about these).  The Fan expert was
Cynthia Fendel of Dallas, Texas.  She's been collecting for over 30 years, and
belongs to many fan organizations (including being a life member of the Fan
Museum in England, where her fans have been on display).  She conducts *fan
appraisals* via the Internet, though I doubt she has encountered anything as
wonderful as Aurelia's lace fans.

www.handfanpro.com

I did not see any lace fans as I navigated this site, but know that Tess will
enjoy "Fans of the Philadelphia Centennial 1876 - the first World's Fair in
the U.S.  Devon - there is a section on "Language of the Fan" (some will
remember Devon's amusing article in the IOLI Bulletin on this subject).  There
is a
museum list, and so forth.

Have fun exploring this subject.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA