Hi Sue and everyone
If I vary regular-head steel pins with glass headed pins, my right
pushing-in fingertip doesn't get sore. The finest pins I have been
able to find, the Clover silk pins with red or white heads, are even
good for fine Buckspoint. When I used to do Honiton, eventually I
would get the wee pin heads stuck in the fingertip (v. painful), then
I'd have to stop for awhile, or use the left hand (and then stop for
awhile). The adhesive pads were 'ok' (find them in quilters' notions -
on me they leave adhesive goo on the skin), and a leather finger tip
was 'ok' (I thought it too bulky) - but not the same as being able to
push the pin in directly.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west
coast of Canada