---- Sue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
We have spoken about the sticky pad things that stick on the end of the finger,
can anyone tell me how well they work, if they stay put on the finger for an
evening without problems like catching on threads or whatever.

I've tried two types of "stick-on thimbles".  One was for quilters and was like
a circle of plastic.  I hated these--they wouldn't stay one my fingers (I sweat
a lot).  The other kind I tried was circles of leather and they work great for
me.  They stay on for hours, can be "parked" on a piece of plastic or other
non-porous surface, and then re-used.  They are thick enough and stiff enough
to prevent pinheads from hurting me at all, even if I didn't pre-prick.

The only other thimble I use is a "Nimble Thimble", which is a very thin
"finger-cap" of leather with a metal disk embedded over the fingertip.  I can
even push a needle through heavy stuff with that.  However, I rarely use it for
lace.  I keep it with my quilting stuff instead.

I never use any other kind of thimble.  They are very effective at stopping the
pins from hurting my finger, but only because whatever finger I put the thimble
on, I immediately start using a different finger!  The one that was getting
sore certainly stops being hurt, but at the expense of another finger.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA