Dear Tamara:

We spoke many years ago, and I have quietly enjoyed your posts over the years. 
Thanks for the sound advice.

Best regards for health and happiness (and I hear the message that included a 
home with teenagers not being a great lace environment!! But I need an 
outlet... if you catch my drift....!!)

Best to all!!

Carrie


 

-----Original Message-----
From: Tamara P Duvall <[email protected]>
To: Lace Arachne <[email protected]>
Sent: Wed, 20 May 2009 8:56 pm
Subject: [lace] Re: Odd request: value of lace bobbins









On May 20, 2009, at 18:36, [email protected] (Carrie) wrote:?
?

> I did not inherit them; they were purchased in the 90's, many from an 
> Australian bobbin maker who retired (and I can't for the life of me 
> remember his name), and some from someone in England who did fancy 
> bone bobbins.?

>?

> Another post hit home, in terms of where their "value" lies... I have 
> a bobbin handpainted with an image of Eleanore of Aquitaine.?
?

Perhaps you could post good photos of the fancier ones to the Arachne 
Webshots? I don't know how to do that, but others will.  And then, 
people here would be likely to be able to attribute the bobbins and 
evaluate them.  I've moved away from Midlands and from fancy stuff but 
I seem to remember a series -- a bobbin-of-the-month club, maybe? -- 
which had various English queens painted on. Someone is likely to 
recognise the image once they see it.?
?

But, in general... I started making lace in '89, so it's the same time 
frame. At the time, even the fancy, hand turned, hand engraved and 
painted, bone, spangled, what-have-you... were most unlikely to have 
cost more than $10 per bobbin. $15 for something really, truly, 
spectacular (along the lines of mother and babe, in bone and with 
embedded wires). I had some really nice ones -- including bone -- and 
none were more than $5, because I thought it was outrageously high 
already (my pocket snake hissed and hissed). And, although you'd have 
to pay more for the same bobbins today, today's price of (new) bobbins 
isn't what you'd go by. Since your bobbins aren't antiques (100yrs old 
or more), they're just *used*; you'd need to have *way* more than a 
1000 of them to be worth $10K. So don't let your "almost ex" get away 
with that scam. Can't blame him for trying to pull it, but...?
?

-- 
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/?

Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)?
?

-?

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:?

unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to?

[email protected]?

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to