I must question the use of scaffolding, as it implies it as an part of an
infrastructure, when scaffolding is essentially a structure with scaffolds
(akin to sophisticated ladder) to provide access by a worker, that never
supports the structure itself, but rather access to be able to execute the
task.  (My background in general contracting).  It could be confusing to
someone's interpretation of what is going on within the formation of
needlelace, if they have any understanding of the word itself.

Perhaps this is why the word foundation is used so frequently in needlelace,
as structurally it is more akin to that in providing a basis from which to
build upon, etc.

One can quickly see how words, languages, brain function, begin to vary
interpretations.  I even looked up the word footing or footer, and current
references to tall persons (for example), prevailed over some of the
traditional meanings.

Best,
Susan Reishus
"Defining the difference between bobbin lace and needle lace is probably the
easiest part of the question.

Bobbin lace is a weaving technique in which the warps are not permanently
fixed to a beam but are weighted by bobbins (which also serve to store the
thread and serve as a handle for manipulation.  The warps are thus free to
move in relation to each other and change positions (which is not possible to
any great extent when the warps are fixed to a beam).  Since the warps and
weaver threads can all move in any direction and change places a very large
variety of different weaves is possible, as are decorative holes of many
kinds.

Needlelace is constructed almost entirely of variations on the buttonhole
stitch, worked with a needle and thread, with only a temporary backing which
serves as a scaffolding while the lace is under construction, and which is
removed when the lace is completed.  This kind I have taken to calling "true
needlelace" simply to have a term to apply to a needle lace with no
extraneous, non-needle parts.  I suppose the term "pure" needle lace would
also serve, distinguishing it from "mixed needlelace".

The only problem with definitions is with the needlelace part.  There are
quite a variety of embroidery techniques which use woven cloth or machine
made
net as a basis to which stitches are added with needle and thread.  There are
also combinations of crochet and needle lace stitches, woven narrow tapes and
needle lace stitches.  Personally I regard all these latter as laces, but I
would distinguish them as embroidered laces or lace-like embroideries, or I
would call some "mixed laces".

Then there is also the case of filet lacis, which is embroidered square
knotted netting, which was traditionally made on a hand made base (but is
rarely done that way now).  There is also the case of teneriffe, sol lace,
nanduti, which is embroidery and needleweaving laid on to a base of thread
spokes created as the first stage of the work.  These are also lace and one
could argue that, as originally made, are true needle laces since all the
parts are hand made and any backing is only a temporary scaffolding.

There are also many traditional bobbin laces which have needlemade parts.
19th century Duchesse with point de gaze needle insets comes to mind, as well
as lace with needlemade rings or pops added to the surface.  I have also seen
several with bobbin lace motifs but needle lace grounds.

Personally I also regard tatting, lacy crochet, and knitted lace as laces.

So that's my personal, long winded, contribution to the question."
Lorelei