I was thinking about a lace class that I was in where we had a  woman who
was an adjunct professor at a local college where she taught  Nutrition. One
really began to feel for the plight of the adjunct professor  after being in
a class with her. But one thing that struck me was that she said  a lot of
students took her course because they had to fulfill a science  requirement
and their reasoning was, "I have been eating all my life, I'll take
nutrition", whereas the class was actually a rather complex class involving
chemistry which came as an unpleasant surprise. At one point she remarked that
it
must be nice to teach a class such as the lace class where people actually
want to learn the material.

But, then again, when you are teaching a class that is  required the
students are under a lot of pressure to learn the material which  may tend to
compensate for any deficiencies in the teacher. Also, they don't  necessarily
expect to enjoy it. In a lace class the class is a treat for the  student,
which is in the realm of something they do for fun and relaxation and  it
competes with other fun activities for the student's time and money. Any
adverse
experience in the class will make it less fun than a spa treatment.

However the student probably wants to come out of the class  with more
knowledge than when she came in and will hold the teacher responsible  if she
doesn't learn anything.  I have always thought that it must be quite  a
difficult line to walk when you are the teacher, which mercifully I am not.
Not
only may the students have different priorities, learning a lot in a short
time, or perhaps having a pressure free time away from home, or even just a
social night, but the same student may want all these things at different
times.  You really have to be quite a diplomat to be able to teach a lace
class.

Devon

_lynrbailey@desupernet.net_ (mailto:lynrbai...@desupernet.net)   writes:

I think  there are two things to be noted here.  The first is that we all
bring baggage to whatever we do, and such baggage does not necessarily
show
on the outside.  Some women, much, much more so than men, tend  to take
criticism personally, so in criticizing their lace, you are  criticizing
them, personally.  It probably isn't the intent, but  there it is, and the
damage is done.  Teachers need to be aware of  this and plan and act
accordingly.  After all, technically, if the  student doesn't progress, it
is
the fault of the teacher.  That can  raise arguments, I'm aware, but it
remains true.  It is the teacher's  job to figure out strategies to impart
the teacher's knowledge to the  pupil.  Assuming a willing pupil.

The other is that while teachers  of a course which is a requirement for a
degree or a required class in  some way, public school and the like, can
get
away with riding roughshod  over their students, since the students are
stuck, and must put up with  almost anything, either as a requirement by
law,
or by the overriding  desire to get the degree or diploma so they can work
in
a given field,  that is not the case with lace.  Thus a lace teacher really
should  not do things calculated to alienate her students.  Lace is a
'leisure' activity, done for the love of it.  If you indulge a  martinet
attitude, you soon will have no students.  I am fortunate  not to have had
any such teacher, ever, and I can only assume that the  vast majority of
teachers are of the proper ilk, but still, it bears  remembering.  It's
really only common sense.  A teacher who is  pleasant and encouraging will
have an easier time imparting her knowledge  to her students because they
will be more receptive.

Lyn in  Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US, where it is snowing.  Hard.  Expecting

up to 4 inches of the stuff.  But it will melt tomorrow, as the high  will
be
40.