I have one more teacher horror story, from a workshop not lessons.  One member
of my guild is blind from birth, but she makes great lace.  A guild member
pricks her pattern and she turns it "upside down".  The pinholes are bumps on
that side and she can tell where each pin goes.

The group hired a teacher for a workshop and wrote to her explaining this
woman's need--to have the pattern in advance so someone could prick it--and
asked the teacher if she had any problem dealing with a blind person learning
this kind of lace.  The teacher said it was no problem and sent the pattern.

The students sat in a circle of tables and the teacher went from student to
student around the circle, till she got to the person next to the blind woman.
Then she turned and worked her way from student to student back around the
other way, till she got to the student next to the blind woman.  She kept
avoiding having anything to do with this accomplished lacemaker by going back
and forth around the rest of the circle.  Later in the day she made a loud and
pointed comment about how "people should accept their limitations".

Needless to say, this teacher has never been invited back to teach.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com