As Peg's teacher for the Milanese class I'd like to say a couple of things.

I suspect the threads weren't 'wearing out', just untwisting. This was one of
the things I told the class to watch out for (and if they saw it happening to
retwist any affected threads), but I was giving out a lot of information at
Ithaca and not all of it finds a permanent home in every brain.

When doing the sewings I showed the class how to use the hook so the thread is
pushed through the sewing, as distinct from pulled, so the 'stem' of the
crochet hook rather than the hook itself is pushing on the thread. This
minimises damage. I also showed them that that they shouldn't try to force the
thread in any way as this probably means that they have either split the thread
or caught the hook on part of the made lace. The loop should 'pop' through the
sewing with minimum resistance.

The other important technique I demonstrated was how, at least until they were
proficient and confident doing sewings, to make the sewing onto a loop of the
thread several inches from the finish of the lace. This has several advantages
all of which stress the thread as little as possible.

It allows you to hold the thread tight, balancing the pull against the hook. At
the same time, once it has 'popped' through the sewing you have a loop of
thread to pull through rather than needing to pull against the thread at the
end of the lace as you drag enough through to make the loop for the other
bobbin to pass through.

If you fail to achieve the sewing first (or second, third....) try, each try
will almost certainly be on a different bit of thread.  Finally, in the worst
case scenario, if you do break the thread it will have broken several inches
from the lace so the tail is long enough to knot onto and still do the sewing.

Regarding magic threads. Yes, I do use them when I know the sewing is going to
be difficult either because of its position or the thread being used, but in
the lace Peg is talking about she was doing top sewings in every one of 14 to
16 adjacent bars along a previously made edge.

While it is perfectly possible to put those magic threads in place as the work
progresses it is just one more thing to remember to do every row, near the
start of the design, and just as the first Milanese braid is being started.

Having got the loops in place they are then making a bump under the cover cloth
and bobbins as the homeward bound braid is worked. Even with the magic thread
colour rotation as taught by Springett's, I have found that many students find
that many magic threads, so close together, more difficult to deal with than
learning how to do sewings.

It sounds as if Peg's problem was definitely with the weak threads rather than
having problems with getting the hook into place, so if this had occured while
we were still in class together I would have firstly reminded her to twist all
the threads, (apart from returning the thread to its proper strength, it means
the hook is more likely to engage with all the plys) and if she was still
having problems with the thread, suggested that she used a lazy susan to do the
sewings.

Best wishes
Jacquie in Lincolnshire
Sent from my iPhone