Just a couple of thoughts, especially if this is happening all the time...

Firstly, what is the climate like? It could be that the cotton threads are drying out and becoming brittle (more likely if it is happening with more than one reel of thread - though you do occasionally get a "rogue" reel that snaps no matter what) - in which case keeping the pillow in a moist area or with a damp tea towel over it when not in use might help.

Secondly, when you lengthen the leashes on your bobbins, Peg, do you turn the bobbin in your hand, with it straight in line with the leash, or do you hold the bobbin at right angles to the leash so that you are unwinding the bobbin and not the thread? I used to have this problem with threads falling apart until it was pointed out to me what I was doing.

Another cause could be that the heads and necks on your bobbins aren't perfectly smooth, causing the thread to wear as it comes off the bobbin?

In message <1325913249.2003.yahoomai...@web181403.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>, Witchy Woman <wytchy...@sbcglobal.net> writes
When I finished the Isis Heart piece I started during my Milanese class in
Ithaca I had a problem with the passive threads.  By the time I got to the end
of the piece they were seriously fraying.  I was using Brok cotton...I think
size 40.

--
Jane Partridge