Katelyn
I have a pillow stand that I bought from Lacis many years ago, but rarely use
it.

I have found that a typing table is exactly the right height for a pillow
stand.  The rolled up towel sounds like a good idea.

Another thing that works for me is to use a standard table (I have a very
large worktable) but pair it with a chair that allows you to adjust the height
of the seat -- a secretary's chair.  I can then raise the chair seat to get
the distance between it and the table top right for my hands.

When I first started lacemaking I used a rather odd setup.  I made a board
about a yard long (1 m) and nailed a strip about 2 inches high onto it, about
5 inches from one end.  Then I leaned the far end on the edge of the table and
the end with the strip on my lap.  The pillow lay on the board with the strip
to stop it sliding all the way against my stomach.  This gave me a slope to
the pillow, and I could adjust the degree of slope by moving my chair closer
or farther from the table.
____________|_      It is another setup that I haven't used recently.

Lorelei