Dear David, I'm taking a stab here, but millinery straw braid would be my
guess.  Straw hats were common for summer use, and at least some were made of
straw braid, perhaps a half inch wide, although I'm sure it varied, which was
then sewn together over a form for the proper shape.  Such a straw hat uses a
lot of braid.  It can be coarse or fine.  I once saw a Shaker lady's straw hat,
in a museum, and it was very fine.

Lyn from Lancaster, where it's cool but nice and sunny, 41F 4.5C

David wrote:
>I'm currently doing some family history research for one of us, and
>find that IF her female relatives were not Lace Makers, then they
>were Straw Plaiters.
>
>Can someone please tell me exactly what they produced? Some of these
>were as young as 5 and 7 years of age on the censuses!!
>I'm sure it wasn't all macrame hanging baskets!!

"My email sends out an automatic  message. Arachne members,
please ignore it. I read your emails."