Straw was plaited into narrow braids, which were then used to make
hats.

Luton in Bedfordshire was a centre for hat-making, and Hitchin in
Hertfordshire (where I live, about 8 miles from Luton) was a
straw-plaiting town.  We used to have a building called "Plait Hall"
but it fell into disuse and has been replaced by houses.

When youngsters were making lace, they sat still where they could be
supervised; but plaiting was a craft which could be done while
standing up or walking about.  Plaiters could therefore go roaming
around the countryside, getting up to goodness knew what, while
plaiting ... They got a reputation for being no better than they
should be <G>.

Margery.
margerybu...@o2.co.uk in North Herts, UK