Dear David,

I am indebted to Jean Leader for the gift of a 192-page  book from  England
by Veronica Main "Swiss Straw Work", self-published in 2003, ISBN
0-9541795-0-1.  If you do a search of her name and the subject, you should  be
able
to find out how to order it directly from Veronica.  If this does  not work,
contact me off-line and I will supply the information given in the  book.

Alternatively, David, you could try to order it from Australia's version of
 InterLibrary Loan at your local library.  Maybe there is at least one copy
 in a library in your country.

Although the book is about Swiss straw work (not the straw work of the UK),
 it is most interesting to see straw work that very much resembles fine
laces.

There are many instructions (in color) in this book.  Finer examples
combine horsehair with straw to create delicate results.  Implements  used
include needles, sometimes multiple needles, which result in very lacy  doilies

There is an antique straw embroidery on  velvet shown in which the straw
resembles gold thread.

Resources given in the book can be searched for and will yield results
(the old web addresses did not always work):
Guild of Straw Craftsmen (UK)
Freiamter Strohmuseum Wohlen (Switzerland)
National Association of Wheat Weavers (U.S.)

Correspondence is inserted in my copy of the book from Gil Dye mentioning
that Veronica was a curator at Luton Museums.  She is well-known.   Another
insert is a letter from Avital (our web master) referring people on  Arachne
to check out _http://www.thestrawshop.com/_ (http://www.thestrawshop.com/)
, which  appeared in a Nordic Needle (American) newsletter.

Our Arachne archives contain 115 entries under "Straw work".   Some are
about pillows, but you'll find more information about working with  straw as
well.

_http://www.mail-archive.com/lace@arachne.com/index.html_
(http://www.mail-archive.com/lace@arachne.com/index.html)

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

I'm currently doing some family history research for one of us, and
find that IF her female relatives were not Lace Makers, then they
were  Straw Plaiters.  Can someone please tell me exactly what they
produced?
David in Ballarat,  AUS