I was born and brought up in Luton during the 50s and hat making was a fairly big industry at that time.
My Mum did some piece work in some of my childhood years.
We took my mum for a trip around the museum a couple of years ago, firstly on the ground floor to see the lace and then upstairs to see the straw hats and other interesting things.

My brother in law was a big time Luton Town Football (The Hatters) supporter when he got married in the early 70's and was given a straw boater as a gift from the club.
Sue T
now in Dorset UK

I think they made hats.
At the Luton Museum, which I visited for lace purposes, there  was an awful
lot about straw plaiting and the hat industry. In fact, I got the  feeling
that people might move between lace making and straw plaiting depending  on
what was "hot".
Devon

In a message dated 3/13/2013 9:48:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,