I have just finished drooling over the most beautiful piece of Russian lace,
it was a bolero/waistcoat/shrug type garment.  Fairly simple but so elegant I
want to try to draw a pattern in a similar way as I have no idea where I could
buy a pattern like that.  All the russian lace patterns I have are picture
type things, or collars.   I almost made one of those but got involved in
another longer project for my Mum in the time I could have used for it so
didn’t actually get it done.    I think I would get much more mileage out of
a waistcoat than a collar.
BUT by question is how on earth do I calculate the amount of thread I might
need to purchase at the same time to make sure I had enough for the whole
thing.  I have tried in the past to estimate for a set of napkins and have
lots of spools in my box waiting for me to maybe make some lace for a
tablecloth to match maybe, but I dont want to be short of thread either.
I have chosen my thread of choice (Gutterman silk) and also the colour of
choice as I have one in my box.
Most of the pattern will be trails of tape/braid so just passives and joining
links and then little bits of pattern, but not much between areas once I work
out what I like and how to draw it onto my pattern.   I am hoping to make this
my big project for after the christmas pieces are done, so to be worked over
december, january and february maybe so it gives me chance to attempt the
pattern and get that right before I begin, but I would like to get the thread
before that is done and I can begin.
Sue T
Dorset UK