Hi Jane, and all

I seem to get into the most trouble when I use my mobile phone, (post
trimming) which now has the Lace Archive symbol added for quick access. A
nice idea for people on the move. My new additional email address is also
exclusive for Arachne, embroidery newsletters, Nordic Needle, Pinterest,
and other incoming. I can see on my phone which Inbox of the three (shared,
business, personal) has unread mail. Gmail was free for the two added
emails, so had much appeal. If I hold my phone sideways, then I can review
archives nicely with the larger font size. The four digit code unlocks the
phone, and I don't need to type in any other access codes or addresses for
mail. Hooray.

Regarding my silk thread question mid January I think this answer below may
best relate to the importance of testing threads before committing time to
a large project and also cost. I often think about thread size and
appearance, but don't often think about cleaning. After all, thread
companies should do testing of threads, right? My question to my friend
with the ruined project after washing was whether she indeed used Orvus
(with neutral ph and biodegradable) If so, it seems as if water alone can
cause a problem. In her case, I found out her threads lost their sheen!!

Silk is chosen for its softness and drape, blocking might not enhance that
and water can cause it to lose some of its sheen. What I forgot to mention
before is that silk is weaker when wet (again the opposite of cotton and
linen) and should be treated gently in a wet state, not stretched out as
this may cause fibres to break.

Jane Partridge

Thanks for this,
Jocelyn in Winnipeg where we have enough snow, and have added 100 new ice
sculptures downtown near the Human Rights Museum.
We hope the storms in the east have passed and life will return to normal
soon for all effected!