You know, Miloš, our world is full of imperfection. We’ve had patriarchy at
least since the incursions of the Indo-Europeans into the Balkans in the 4th
millennium BC. We’ve survived wars and persecution perpetrated for purposes of
land, money, religion, sex, kin-colour, sexuality, and other kinds of power.

This group exists to help people make encyclopaedias in their own language.
That is, on its own, a strong indication that we all care about those who lack
privilege. Many of us on this list are privileged. Most of us are men. Most
have a Fitzpatrick skin type of 1 or 2. Most are probably heterosexual. Some
are atheists. Some are native speakers of English. All have plenty of
electricity and education and tech.

For you to perceive the smallest injustice or infelicity and label it “racism”
and then to attack another member of the group is not wise. There is a fairly
large movement going on right now, reported widely in the media, which
considers accusation and denunciation to be some kind of cure of all the woes
patriarchy has foisted upon our civilization.

Not one of us here is a racist. Not one of us here is perfect. All of us have
some privilege even if that intersects with one or more unprivileges.

Please calm down. You have been a valuable member of this group for a long
time. Please resolve not to attack Gerard or anyone else with the word
“racist”. Using the word doesn’t make it so, and your using it hasn’t made us
all realize how right you are.

I remember well the positive meetings we had in Berlin. I even remember
discussions of how we might tap into some oligarch funding via Serbian
connections to achieve some of our goals. But it is our goals which are
important.

Michael