Although I use Free Pascal/Lazarus a lot (because we have a lot of existing pascal code) I think C++ and some GUI framework like QT might be a better option. C/C++ is the number one used programming language. C/C++ code is much more portable to other systems. There are more compilers. QT has a very nice IDE (QT Creator) and is available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Nobody is using Pascal these days. So why learn it?

I'm not a big fan of the RAD development way any more. (I was years ago). The problem is that you should separate your business logic and the GUI. With Delphi like RAD it's very difficult to do that. (but it is possible) Everything is coded in events and connected to database aware GUI controls. (In the case of a database application) Another problem with the RAD way is that a lot is stored in forms (.lfm files) and it's difficult to see/notice changes to those files. They can be very big and it's difficult to see if some control is missing, for example, an event or so. The Lazarus IDE does frequently change the properties of controls on the form. For example the width and the height properties frequently change with no reason as it seems. As specially when you do development on both Windows and Linux. That makes tracking code changes (and so potential new bugs) not very easy.