Christian U. wrote:
Lazarus does not use .mo files anymore. It uses the .po files directly.
See unit lcl/translations.pas. The header contains an example.

oh, sorry is ther an format difference ?
i think its only the ending that is different ? and most gettext
applications use .mo so why we use .po for the final translations ?

Vincent has the translation system on his todo items on the road to

lazarus

1.0.

that schould do the same work like poEdit ?!
mhm maybe it is more useable to fix the problems that already there by such
lazarus programmers, i think on unicode support of lcl-windows at example ;)
instead of such
simple thibngs like the translations that can be done simply with external
tools like poEdit multiplattform ?!

I see I need to expend the description on the road map.

Mainly I want to fix issue 1278. http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/mantis/view.php?id=1278

I haven't thought it through completely, but I envision the following.

First extend packages (and projects) with a languages directory with po files. When a project is built (or published) all language files of all dependent packages will be gathered add add in a languages subdirectory relatively to the executable or at another predefined place (i.e. /usr/local/share/appname/languages), configurable like the Help file of an application now. On startup all resourcestrings will be read from the appropriate files.

I will not write tools to create or maintain po-files, just make it easier to use po-files in applications.

I hope this makes clear, what my plans are.

Vincent.