THanks for your feedback Steven.  I do understand where you are coming from although I do not entirely agree.  One thing we both can agree to, however, is that security has to be a top concern and should not be treated lightly.

Tom

>>>"Steven H. McCown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 06/09/06 6:25 pm >>>

Tom,

I hear all the time about how such and such a website got hacked and the

information leaked.  I'm prior military, so I've been following the VA

incident -- and that wasn't even web hosted.  The reality is that hackers

(or their bots, zombies, etc.) attempt intrusions on all websites every day.

Given that, most websites will be hacked at one time or other.  I have

statistics, but I'll forgo them for now.

Given that most websites will be hacked, the real question is what we choose

to put there.  It wouldn't bother me (too much) if someone found out that I

was a church member, my address, that I served a mission, or who's in my

family.  Those things are all a matter public record, anyway.  It wouldn't

bother me if someone found out how much tithing that I paid, either.  If

someone found out my credit card number, then Visa would cover my losses and

issue me a new card number.  So, that's not a permanent problem.

However, YM / YW / Scouting records paint a much more personal account of

the individual.  They have things such as likes, dislikes, achievements,

associations, other personal information, etc.  If those things, coupled

with name and address, fell into the wrong hands, then bad things could

happen.  Here is a sample article about kids and 'myspace.com'

(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7668788/).

In the case of 'myspace.com', kids are voluntarily disclosing information

that sets them up for stalking and the like.  This has gotten so bad that

public schools are starting to try to ban student's participation or to

monitor them for inappropriate activity.  I don't want to open a discussion

as to whether that is good or bad, but the schools are, at least, trying to

protect the children.

If the church were to sponsor what would really amount to an online database

of personally identifiable personal information of minor children, then they

would be making themselves hugely liable if that information ever got out.

Groups like the ACLU would have a heyday.  The VA had to announce recently

that ~2M soldiers' information was compromised.  Imaging the PR and

financial liability if the church had to make the same announcement.  This

possibility has to be weighed against the benefit of an online system vs.

keeping those records by hand or in another non-centralized manner.

I took a class at BYU that discussed things like "risk management" and

"mitigating risk".  Most of us glossed over that course in favor of building

'cool stuff'.  As technologists, scientists, and engineers, we all have to

pay more attention to the ramifications of technology than we do about the

technology itself.

So, to answer your question, if the church hosted a minor child information

tracking website, then no I would still not be comfortable with that.  I

would opt out and my opting out would unfortunately hinder the utility of

the overall system.

Steve