Am 27.07.2013 19:31, schrieb Yves Blusseau:

> Le 27 juil. 2013 à 11:11, KP Kirchdoerfer <kap...@users.sourceforge.net> a
> écrit :
>
>> Well, seems a problem is that we have developed two different concepts
>> and naming schemes over time, which are not in sync.
>> See:
>> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/bering-uclibc/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=8&MMN_position=8:8
>>
> Not really a problem. We must have a branch for the next release (it's the
> master branch).
> The old branch has been released so only bugfix must be done in it.

You're right.

> So in our case 5.0.0 is release, it's now a maintenance branch. So we must
> release only bug fix in it).
> The 5.0.1 or 5.1.0 or 6.0.0 is the new master branch that will be the next
> release.
>
>> Also where do we draw the line between feature and maintenance? Moving
>> from libnl to libnl3 is rather a feature than a bugfix. But what about
>> package updates, like shorewall, dnsmasq etc where fixes are provided as
>> well as new features?
> This must be in the master branch.
> For example updating shorewall must be made between 5.0.1 and 5.0.2.
> 5.0.1 is the master branch. We update it with shore wall update. When 5.0.2
> is released, 5.0.2 will be the new master branch and 5.0.1 the new
> maintenance branch.

You mean when 5.0.*1* is released?

> Everything you update is for the NEXT release, so it must be done in the
> master branch.
> The maint branch is only to correct bug for people using the last released
> version. But maint branch must not be update with new version of package,
> etc… only if it fix a big bug.

(so as a consequence, IF we'd have a real bug in 5.0.0 we'll be able to
create 5.0.0.1. If so the page linked above should note that.)

Ok. You have my vote to move ahead as proposed:
"master will be the 5.0.1 version
maint will be the 5.0 stable version.
Next and pu branches stay as is."